Lockdown Rescore Challenge #2 with Haiku Salut
British cinema pioneer Claude Friese-Greene, known for his beautiful colour travelogue The Open Road (1926), liked to feature young ladies gracefully posing within a scene. Bordering on the risqué, this earlier short includes a brief glimpse of him adjusting the model's pose for the camera: various takes show this to be an exercise in experimenting with camera techniques and artistic effects. The surroundings are incidental, as the film concentrates on the model's position and movement. Bohemian in style, the scenes echo art nouveau tableaux.
It's possible that the model is one of the Margaret Morris Dancers - later filmed by Friese-Greene in Dance of the Moods.
If you'd like to learn more about the re-score visit the Haiku Salut Blog.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO WATCH:
1. Load up ‘Nude Woman by Waterfall‘ on BFI Player (FREE) - https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-nude-woman-by-waterfall-1920-online
2. You will need two devices - phone, tablet or computer. One device to play the film from (make sure this is muted). You also need to make sure the film is paused at 0:00 (very important, otherwise there might a lag) . If your system is prone to buffering, test it out before hand.
3. The other device will play the soundtrack and be available for live chat and Q&A on Mixlr - http://mixlr.com/haikusalut/ The link will take you to our Mixlr page. It will tell you when we are on air. If you are listening via smartphone click ‘Listen Live’. If you are listening via laptop click' ‘Press to Play’.
4. There will be one song while we wait for everyone to join, and then a short introduction. You will be counted in to press play on BFI player on your other device.
5. We’ll introduce the tracks in the chat box on Mixlr, and answer any questions.
6. Have a lovely time!
7. Donate to support Live Cinema UK independent cinema partners who are unable to open during lockdown - https://www.paypal.me/livecinema